[vtkusers] how to construct vktCell with vtkPoints

Emmanouil Moschidis moshman65 at yahoo.com
Tue May 1 07:38:33 EDT 2007

Hi
this is a piece of code that should work...

    vtkPoints *cloudPoints=new vtkPoints;
    vtkCellArray *cloudCells=new vtkCellArray;
    vtkPolyData *cloudPData=new vtkPolyData;

    cloudPoints->SetDataTypeToDouble();
    cloudPoints->SetNumberOfPoints(numberOfVTKPoints);

    for(int i=0; i<(numberOfVTKCells*3); i++)
    {
        cloudPoints->SetPoint(i,vtkStoredPointsBuffer[i].getX(),vtkStoredPointsBuffer[i].getY(),vtkStoredPointsBuffer[i].getZ());

    }

    cloudCells->InsertNextCell(numberOfVTKPoints);

    for (int i=0; i<numberOfVTKPoints; i++)
    {
        cloudCells->InsertCellPoint(i);
    }

    cloudPData->SetPoints(cloudPoints);
    cloudPData->SetLines(cloudCells);

the only weird thing you may see is these getX(), getY(), getZ() methods. The reason why i use these methods is that i store my points in std::vector<Point3D>
where Point3D is a custom class for 3D points (in your case you use vtkPoints).

Try it and tell me if it worked. I am not 100% this is the correct way though

Good luck :-)

ѧ־ Ñî <shulo1978 at hotmail.com> wrote: Hi all, I extract vtkpoints from a polydata and want to reconstruct them
back into vtkCell. Can anyone give me some hint to do this? The points are
taken out based on some conditions so I can't use getCell from vtkpolydata
to take the cell straignthaway. Thank you!