[vtkusers] Reading EnSight files

Jean Favre jfavre at cscs.ch
Thu Mar 29 16:24:15 EDT 2007

On 28, Mar 2007 03:22 PM, Marzio Sala <marzio.sala at gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am using VTK (through Python) to read EnSight files, using something
>like

>The files are composed by more than one part (or dataset), and they are
>correctly stored in reader.GetOutput().
>
>However, I cannot find the part name anywhere... Anybody knows how to
>get
>the part name?

The part name is stored in FieldData in an array called "Name"

So, the answer to both of your questions are:

1) get a specific output, for example the 0th output

reader.GetOutput().GetDataSet(0,0)

2) get the name of the part

reader.getOutput().GetDataSet(0,0).GetFieldData().GetArray("Name").GetPointer(0)

the command above gives the following answer when run with EnSight's
demo file ami.case

' external flow field'

hope this helps.

--