[vtkusers] Mesh from 3-D distance field in octree

Francois Bertel francois.bertel at kitware.com
Fri Mar 23 16:06:03 EDT 2007

Hi,

FYI, there are some octrees in VTK:

vtkHyperOctree is a dataset ("hyper" because it works also in 1D and 2D).

http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkHyperOctree.html

There are a couple of sources/filters/algorithms written for this dataset:
vtkHyperOctreeSurfaceFilter
vtkClipHyperOctree
vtkHyperOctreeContourFilter
vtkHyperOctreeLimiter
vtkHyperOctreeDepth
vtkHyperOctreeSampleFunction
vtkHyperOctreeCutter
vtkHyperOctreeDualGridContourFilter
vtkHyperOctreeFractalSource
vtkHyperOctreeToUniformGridFilter

vtkXMLHyperOctreeReader/Writter

There is also vtkCellLocator but this is spatial search object, not a dataset.

Regards.

Simon Perreault wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I made an octree class and I use it to contain a distance field. I want to use
> VTK to compute a mesh of an isosurface of this distance field. Here's how I
> intend to do this:
>
> 1) Make my octree a subclass of vtkDataSet.
> 2) Connect the octree to the vtkMarchingCubes class with GetOutput / SetInput.
>
> Is this right? Which particular subclass of vtkDataSet should I use as base
> for my octree? Any hints?
>
> Thanks

1 (518) 371 3971 x113 | 28 Corporate Drive