[vtkusers] Finding specific points on the surface of a sphereSource.

Richard A Rowe rar109 at york.ac.uk
Wed Mar 21 11:12:29 EDT 2007

Hello vtk users,

I am creating a scene with an object in the centre. I'd like to
create another object located on the surface of a sphere,
in orbit if you will, around my central object. I'd like to know
 the best way of going about it.

I've looked at vtkSphereWidget, but I'd like to create
something a little more simpler than this. I don't need the
orbital object to be placed anywhere on the surface of the
sphere. I only require it to be placed on each Theta and Phi
step, i.e. where the latitude and longitude lines cross on
a wireframe, LatLongTessellationOn() set sphereSource.
Moreover, I'd like the entire scene to be enabled with a
mouse interactive camera, so that also rules out the
sphereWidget as the examples that I've seen doesn't let
you move the camera when the widget is active.

I've created a wireframe LatLongTessellationOn sphere,
of which I have set the Theta and Phi resolutions. I was
wondering if there is a simple and efficient way to get the
points of where the wire lines cross in this sphere. I'd like
to reference these points as well in respect to the Theta
and Phi resolutions, i.e. with resolutions of 10 each, Phi's
first point is at the bottom and starts at 1 and steps up to
the top at 10. And similar for Theta. Please could someone
point me in the right direction.

If anyone has done something similar to this and think that
my approach is more complicated than it needs to be please
let me know.

Kind regards,

Richard.