[vtkusers] VTK in Matlab on OS X

Hans-Peter Bischof hpb at cs.rit.edu
Thu Mar 15 10:15:22 EDT 2007

Good Day -

I successfully compiled and run the system
on a mac/intel.

This may help

 > On Jan 29, 2007, at 2:05 PM, David Cole wrote:
 >>

 >> Kenneth Sloan, if you're still reading this thread, try this on
 >> your Mac build of VTK:
 >> - cd into your binary directory
 >> - type "ccmake ." and hit return (or full path to ccmake if it's
 >> not in your env PATH)
 >> - type "t" to toggle to see advanced settings (t again to hide them)
 >> - scroll down and set the following settings:
 >> - JAVA_AWT_LIBRARY should be "-framework JavaVM"
 >> - JAVA_AWT_INCLUDE_PATH should be something like "/System/Library/
 >> Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Headers"
I decided to give up on VTK/Java because the documentation
is not good enough.

On Mar 15, 2007, at 9:56 AM, Sean McBride wrote:

> On 2007-03-15 08:27, David Cole said:
>
>> Sean and Marty,
>>
>> It is quite possible to build VTK with Java wrappings on an intel
>> mac,
>> you just have to avoid the incorrect *default* setting of using the
>> "JavaEmbedding" framework. If, after configuring with ccmake, you go
>> through and change all the advanced settings that reference
>> JavaEmbedding to reference JavaVM instead, then it works.
>>
>> It isn't that "it doesn't work" -- it just doesn't work without
>> changing some incorrect default settings.
>
> Ack!  You are of course quite right.  I never really got my head
> around
> this java bug, and don't know java at all, so I should probably
> keep quiet. :)
>
> Marty, if you check the archives from a few weeks ago, you can find
> workarounds for the problem and how to set things up so they
> build.  If
> you decide to go the java route that is...
>
> --

-hp

Dr. H-P. Bischof, Dept. of Computer Science, RIT,
102 Lomb Memorial Drive Rochester, NY 14623-5608,
USA,   Phone: 585 475 5568,  www.cs.rit.edu/~hpb