[vtkusers] Render Speed....

Beau Sapach beau.sapach at ualberta.ca
Fri Mar 9 17:50:25 EST 2007

Hello everyone,

I've posted a number of questions recently but got no response.  I do
realize however that most of my recent troubles have revolved around
multithreading, not VTK.

I hope this question is fairly straight forward.  Every time I change the
vtkImageData that my vtkImageActor is using, the call to Render() takes a
bit of time.  But once the image is displayed, I can pan, zoom and rotate
very smoothly and in real-time.  I'm assuming that the interactor calls
Render() somewhere along the line for every shift in mouse position.  How do
I make my calls to Render() that fast?  I suspect it has to do with getting
my vtkImageData out of system memory and into the frame buffer, once that's
accomplished calls to Render() are fast.  So every time I switch
vtkImageData on my vtkImageActor that new data has to be sent to the
graphics card correct?  Is there a way of sending multiple images into the
graphics card in one fell swoop and THEN changing which one is displayed?

Beau