[vtkusers] Texture Map Opacity?

Steven Koch SKoch at trinityconsultants.com
Thu Mar 8 09:20:37 EST 2007

In the Visualization Toolkit (4th Edition, Page 216) it states:

"Besides the different ways in which a texture map can be defined, there
are options in how it interacts with the original color of the object.  A
common option for RGB and RGBA maps is to ignore the original color; that
is, just apply the texture color as specified.  Another option is to
modulate the original color by the texture map color (or intensity) to
produce the final color."

When I apply a texture map to a vtkPolyData actor, the surface color of
the actor bleeds through the texture map.  Other than the book reference
above, I can not find any information about how to control the 'opacity'
of a texture map when it is applied to a
vtkPolyData--->vtkPolyDataMapper--->vtkActor.  My vtkPolyData object is a
terrain map derived from an vtktImageData--->vtkWarp and the color is set
using a vtkColorTransferFunction to map the single component scalar.

Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Steve Koch

entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.   If you
Received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material
from any computer.