[vtkusers] URGENT, PLEASE RESPOND: Getting Voxels from vtkImageData

Meisam Aliroteh meisam.aliroteh at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 21:14:45 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I've used vtkDICOMImageReader to load a set of DICOM images representing the
MRI scan of the brain of a patient. I've resampled the images using AMIRA to
get cubical voxels. There are 192 images in total, placed in a directory and
using the SetDirectoryName() method of the vtkDICOMImageReader I've loaded
all. The output that I get from vtkDICOMImageReader is vtkImageData and here
is what I need to do:

Given the coordinate of a point in the data set and a direction vector, is
there a feature in vtk that can return to me the set of voxels in the data
set starting at this point going along the direction vector? For example,
let's say that my point is located at (0,0,0) and the direction vector is
(0,0,1) and I'm interested in getting 10 voxels along this direction vector
starting at the point. How can I do this (rather efficiently since it is
going to be done for a lot of points)??
Also, how can this be done if the point coordinates and the vector
coordinates are not integer values ?? i.e starting at (0.25, 1.7, 0.33) and
going along the direction vector (1.2, 3.2, 0.1)

Thanks in advance for your replies