[vtkusers] Installing and Running VTK for MayaVi

vbk aeroroyce at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 20:49:20 EDT 2007

I am getting the following error while I was trying to install VTK.
According to the README.html present in the tar file;
I ran the following
[root at maniac VTK]#cmake .
[root at maniac VTK]#make
[root at maniac VTK]#make install
Everything seemed to work fine.

The main purpose of installing VTK was to run mayavi.
Now when I run Mayavi, I get the following error.

[root at maniac MayaVi-1.5]# ./mayavi
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./mayavi", line 289, in ?
    import vtk
  File "/usr/local/src/VTK/Wrapping/Python/vtk/__init__.py", line 29, in ?
    from common import *
  File "/usr/local/src/VTK/Wrapping/Python/vtk/common.py", line 7, in ?
    from libvtkCommonPython import *
ImportError: No module named libvtkCommonPython
[root at maniac MayaVi-1.5]#

I did set the PYTHONPATH as following

PYTHONPATH=/usr/local/lib/vtk-5.0
/:/usr/lib/python2.3/:/usr/local/src/VTK/Wrapping

Can anyone let me know what should be done here?
Thanks a lot.
VJ