[vtkusers] problems building VTK on 64 bit machine

Anja Ende anja.ende at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 13 11:23:57 EDT 2007

Hi,

I have built VTK a few times before on 64 bit machine but this time around I
got the following error:

/usr/bin/ld: /home/anja/development/VTK/bin/libvtkRendering.a(vtkActor.o):
relocation R_X86_64_32 against `a local symbol' can not be used when making
a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/home/anja/development/VTK/bin/libvtkRendering.a: could not read symbols:
Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [bin/libQVTKWidgetPlugin.so] Error 1
make[1]: *** [GUISupport/Qt/CMakeFiles/QVTKWidgetPlugin.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Does someone know how I can resolve this? Do I have to rebuild VTK with the
-fPIC flag or do I have to build some other modules with this flag. Never
saw this error before and am stuck.

Cheers,

Anja