[vtkusers] Setting scalar point attributes in a contour

Marc Cotran marc at cotran.ca
Sun Jun 10 12:23:06 EDT 2007

Hi Christian,

For 1) - You can use vtkMassProperties to get the number of polygons in
your isosurface. You may wish to use a vtkTriangleFilter first to ensure
that only triangle polys are present. You can also look at the
vtkPolyData instance directly. In your case,
yourContourFilter->GetOutput() is a vtkPolyData instance, which is
composed of:

    * Points - a vtkPoints instance defining the geometry of the isosurface
    * Cells - 4 vtkCellArray instances defining how the points are
      connected together to make the isosurface's triangles, vertices,
      lines, and triangle strips

You can either vtkPolyData::GetNumberOfPolys() or
vtkPolyData::GetPolys()::GetNumberOfCells. Before using any of these
methods, make sure you Update() the pipeline (eg.
yourContourFilter->Update) .

For 2) - Take a look at vtkFieldData and vtkDataObject (of which
vtkPolyData is a subclass). You can create your attribute scalar data
for the points as a vtkFieldData object, and then
vtkDataObject::SetFieldData with that object. You may wish to
vtkMapper::SetScalarVisibility(1) in order to visualize the scalars. If
you do so, you will need to vtkMapper::SetLookupTable as well.

hth

Marc