[vtkusers] Quick Question on VTK and the Preferred OS

Mike Jackson imikejackson at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 12:28:20 EDT 2007

Well of course OS X is the preferred and most used OS for VTK ;-)
   ( For those that didn't catch it, that was sarcasm)....

Only Kitware can answer the first one..

The second question really depends on what platform you are most
comfortable. I can build VTK without any problems on OS X and Linux
but usually have to check myself into an insane asylum after
attempting it on Windows. Others will have just the opposite story.

On OS X makefiles are _very_ well supported and work very well. Xcode
does work but due to Apple's insistence on using proprietary file
formats for the Xcode projects Kitware is forever chasing Apple to
have the ultimate Xcode support. The current Xcode support is
extremely good given what Kitware has to work with. My hats off to them.

Under Windows XP I have the best luck with Visual Studio 2003.Net. I
have tried VS 2005 Pro and have no luck creating executables that
actually work or can be deployed but this is due to my lack of
knowledge of VS 2005 and its deployment practices. Others work with
VS 2005 all day long without a problem.

Those are my opinions.. Let others chime in with theirs.
--
Mike Jackson   Senior Research Engineer