[vtkusers] contouring point data

burlen burlen at apollo.sr.unh.edu
Thu Jul 26 15:19:06 EDT 2007

In case you didn't realize this, many vtk filters require both point
data and cells(the other repsonses didn't specifically point this out).
Contour filter requires both point data and cell geometry because it
needs cell geometry to compute interpolation on faces of a cell and so
it knows what cell to continue the generation process in once the
contour reaches the edge of a cell. It needs to know how the data is
connected. As the other reply suggested one way you could construct the
required geometry from a point set is to pass that data through a
delaunay filter, how ever this would be very slow if you have a lot of
points in 3 space. Maybe you already have the geometry somewhere?? If so
you should construct cells for your unstructured grid.
Burlen