[vtkusers] Multi Dimensional Transfer Functions

Randall Hand randall.hand at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 09:11:21 EDT 2007

Unfortunately, VTK doesn't support what most people think of as
2-dimensional transfer functions in Volume Mapping.

Look in the vtkVolumeProperty and you'll see an option for
"IndependentComponents".  Using that, you can switch it through a few modes:
1) Map each scalar through it's own COlor & Opacity, and composite the
results
2) Map the first scalar through color, and the second scalar through OPacity
3) Use the first 3 scalars as RGB directly, and map the 4th scalar through
opacity.

Using the Array-Calculator, and probably some custom code, you should be
able to write code to generate a dataset with an RGBA (4-element) vector
field and method #3 to get what you want.

Randall Hand
Visualization Scientist
ERDC MSRC-ITL