[vtkusers] PLEASE HELP: vtkCutter not working

Meisam Aliroteh meisam.aliroteh at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 14:10:06 EDT 2007

Hi everyone,

I've posted this issue before but I got no response from anyone. If you have
any idea about this, please respond:

I've tried vtkCutter to get the contour of a polydata and I am getting weird
results.

In the first case I cut a sphere with the cutter and the cutter does
generate a circular contour. In the second case I try to cut through a bunch
of triangles which are all coplanar and I try to cut them to get their
contour but I get an empty polydata back from the cutter.

Basically, I need to get the contour of a flat shape ( the shape is made up
of triangles and all triangles are coplanar and I only need the outer lines
which form the parameter of the shape, not any of the interior/shared
triangle edges ). I thought I could use vtkCutter since it is simple to use
and is fast but it doesn't return anything !!! It just returns a polydata
with no cells, or polys, or lines etc.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this, or is there a better way of doing this ?
(the flat shape might be concave or convex so I need a method that works
with both)

thanks