[vtkusers] Local kit on MacOS X gets wrong install names for VTK libraries

Kalle Pahajoki kalle.pahajoki at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 11:47:11 EST 2007

Hi

First of all, this is my second day using a Mac so excuse any wrong
terminology (I hope I have the concepts correct).

I'm building a local kit (modeled on the vtkMy example) on OSX and am having
some problems with getting the correct install_names on the produced
libraries.

When I execute code that attempts to load the local kit, the following error
occurs:
ImportError:
dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/vtkbxd/libvtkBXDProcessingPython.so,
2): Library not loaded: libvtkWidgetsPythonD.5.1.dylib
  Referenced from:
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/vtkbxd/libvtkBXDProcessingPython.so
  Reason: image not found

Now, If I go and change the install names with install_name_tool, to include
the full path then the error disappears. Looking at the cmake_install.cmake
after building VTK, this is done automatically for the

Also, I set the INSTALL_NAME_DIR property so the libraries we build
ourselves have the correct (full path) install names. The question is, how
to get the dependencies included with the TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES to include
the full path in the install name?