[vtkusers] Re: OSX universal binaires for VTK, cmake , ITK

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Tue Jan 30 15:16:30 EST 2007

On 2007-01-30 22:07, Dan White said:

>> CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES ppc;ppc64;i386;x86_64 "works" in theory, from
>> the CMake point of view. But:
>>
>> - even specifying just ppc;i386 will not really work.  It will
>> build as
>> universal, but the "other half" won't work properly.  So if you
>> build on
>> a PPC, the code won't run properly on intel, and vice versa.  This is
>> due to TRY_RUN use by VTK.  VTK tests the endianness of the building
>> machine and then uses that for both the ppc and intel builds, so it's
>> always wrong for one half. (bug 3059)
>
>ok, so it was a problem with VTK not CMake.... didn't remember that.

Well, OTOH, CMake in general is not strong on the cross-compiling
front... But in the long run, VTK needs to stop using TRY_RUN (IMNSHO).
You may want to search the archives for 'TRY_RUN'.

>> - building VTK as 64 bit in OS 10.4 can only be done if you turn off
>> VTK_USE_RENDERING, as Carbon/Cocoa are not available as 64 bit in
>> 10.4.
>
>Yes, indeed thats true.... but what about 10.5? Fully 64 bit right?

It should be possible, one day, for VTK to be fully 64bit on OS 10.5, yes.

>> - building VTK (with VTK_USE_CARBON) as 64 bit in OS 10.5 is
>> impossible
>> because QuickDraw is used (and no longer available) (bug 4001)
>
>yes, no more quickdraw in 10.5... so that means CARBON can't be used
>anymore at all?

QD is still in 10.5, but only for 32bit apps, not 64bit apps.

>What would be needed to use CARBON? QuickDraw is replaced by some
>newer core library in OSX 105 isnt it?

See bug 4001:
<http://www.vtk.org/Bug/bug.php?op=show&bugid=4001>

>> - building VTK (with VTK_USE_COCOA) as 64 bit in OS 10.5 almost works.
>> You have to stub out freetype (bug 3670).  I suspect there will be
>> runtime bugs even then.
>
>So it is sensible to use cocoa from now on?

I'd say yes.

>> - I've never used ITK, so I have no idea there
>
>probably similar situation to VTK, but might be different.. must
>investigate...

I encourage you to set up a dashboard.

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com