[vtkusers] Mapping a grayscale lookup tables pipeline with vtkImageViewer2

Jesús Spí­nola jspinola at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 13:25:57 EST 2007

Hello,

I'm developing a 2D viewer for DICOM medical images and I have to apply a
grayscale transform pipeline for the image display consistency as it stands
in the DICOM standard ( Grayscale Softcopy Presentation State Storage ).

In this pipeline I can have up to 3 different grayscale lookup tables. I'm
using vtkImageViewer2 and I would like to know how can I apply these LUTs to
achieve the correct image display.

A common example could be the following:

First you apply a modality LUT to map the vendor-specific values to an
scaled range, like hounsfield units,
Second you apply a window levelling function with window width and window
level values ( in some cases you can find a lut for this instead of the
common window/level values ),
and finally you can apply a last LUT, for a gamma correction for example.

I guess vtkImageMapToColors would be one of the appropiate classes to deal
with, but I don't know how to put it on the pipeline with vtkImageViewer2 to
make it work fine. Another thing I would like to know is 16-bit LUTs can be
supported in this case.

Thanks in advance!