[vtkusers] Mac OS X, Java guru needed, please.

Mike Jackson mike.jackson at imts.us
Fri Jan 26 15:48:03 EST 2007

On Jan 26, 2007, at 2:03 PM, Sean McBride wrote:

> On 2007-01-26 11:04, David Cole said:
>
>> On my PPC Mac, to get things to work properly with java wrapped
>> VTK, I have
>> to specify JAVA_AWT_LIBRARY as "-framework JavaEmbedding"
>>
>> If I recall correctly, though, JavaEmbedding is being deprecated
>> by Apple. I
>> don't know if it's presently supported at all on the Intel Macs...
>> I also
>> don't know what the AWT library is supposed to become once the
>> JavaEmbedding
>> framework is completely gone and *really* deprecated.
>
> You remember correctly.  JavaEmbedding is deprecated.  It still
> exists,
> but is ppc only, and so if you build intel, you obviously can't link
> against it.
>
>> If you can find/figure out what the proper library to link against
>> is for
>> Java AWT applications on Intel Macs and get that information to
>> me, I will
>> do what I can to make this experience less frustrating for the
>> next person
>> to try it.
>>
>> Anybody else who's listening know what the migration path is for
>> folks
>> presently using JavaEmbedding for AWT support?
>
> One might get an answer from this list:
>
> Personally, I wouldn't even know how to ask intelligently.  It's
> archives may have info though...
>
> Kenneth, you may want to also read:
> <http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtk-developers/2006-September/
> 004308.html>
>
> --

OK.. dusting off the java cobb webs.... So JavaEmbedding is for
native Carbon/Cocoa (10.3.9/ppc) that need to instantiate a Java VM
_within_ the application itself... like a web browser would do if it
needed to display a Java Applet in a web page. This is NOT what VTK
with java Wrappings are doing.

    What the VTK/Java combo is doing is launching a native java
program. Then within that java program the VTK JNI libraries are used
to access VTK functionality. Do you understand the difference?

    So I stand by my earlier, although cryptic post, and say that the
VTK java Wrappings need to link against
"-framework JavaVM" instead of the JavaEmbedding Framework.

David, can you make the change please and lets see what the
dashboards come back with. Also is this a CMake change or a VTK Change?

Thanks to everyone for sticking with this problem.

--
Mike Jackson   Senior Research Engineer