[vtkusers] Rendering speed is window-size dependent - Example Script

Andrea Gavana andrea.gavana at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 09:37:50 EST 2007

Hi Mark,

    Thank you for your answer. Well, I didn't know about that: it
seems that a couple of 8 MB VTK binary files can break VTK rendering
(or, if you prefer, two 120,000 cells grids can knock out a modern
PC).
I am using a "standard" renderer:

myRenderer = vtk.vtkRenderer()
self.GetRenderWindow().AddRenderer(myRenderer)

Actually, I didn't even know there were other type of renderers
(sorry, my knowledge of VTK is quite low). Which kind of renderers
would you suggest for my approach?

Thank you very much for your answer and suggestions.

Andrea.

> I haven't tried your example but I get the same effect with most VTK
> renderers. I can imagine that with a larger screen size the amount of
> detail rendered becomes exponentially higher making your rendering
> much slower. When the screen size is very small I would assume that
> they drop a lot of rendering quality, since it's just not necessary
> (the user wouldn't see it anyways). What renderer are you using? Maybe
> you could knock down the quality level when the screen size gets
> higher to achieve the frame rate you want. I don't think there's
> anything else you can (easily) do.
>
> Mark
>
> On 1/26/07, Andrea Gavana <andrea.gavana at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> >    I managed to put together a very small example that demonstrates
> > the problem. I am attaching a very small Python script, together with
> > the VTK data file here:
> >
> > http://fs06n5.sendspace.com/dl/c5243ba232ae95758c05c8a8370602c4/45ba0437/cn12eo/VTKExample.zip
> >
> > The loading process is very fast, you will see a wxNotebook with 2
> > pages. If you play a bit with the 2 VTKRenderWindows (switching pages
> > back and forth, zooming and panning), and then you try to maximize the
> > main frame, the rendering almost stops. It becomes *very* slow on one
> > of the two notebook tabs. The other seems unaffected. The unstructured
> > grid itself is small, so I wouldn't have expected such a huge
> > performance hit.
> >
> > Could *please* someone try it and see if he/she gets the same result?
> >
> > I am trying to test it also on ParaView, but I don't know it very well
> > and I don't know if it is possible to have multiple views (tabs or
> > splitters or whatever) at the same time.
> >
> > I will try also with Mayavi2 as soon as I can get SVN access (as far
> > as I know, Mayavi2 is the only GUI out there that manages views with
> > tabs).
> >
> > Thank you for your suggestions.

Andrea.

http://xoomer.virgilio.it/infinity77/