[vtkusers] A theoretical question

Daniel Mace dlm19 at duke.edu
Fri Jan 26 09:20:25 EST 2007

Arne,

Is your question: what methods are out there that you can use (but would
need to implement), or what methods are in ITK/VTK that you could use?
The standard shape model in ITK is the the work done by Leventon et al.
(
http://spl.bwh.harvard.edu:8000/pages/papers/leventon/cvpr00/cvpr00.pdf
).  His method basically relies on the observation that the gradient of
an image is inversely related to a signed distance map and created a MAP
estimate from it.  If you already have your mean + modes of variation
then using his method should be easy to implement (easy to implement,
getting the parameters to converge might take a bit).  It's described in
9.3.7 in the ITK software guide.

Cheers,
Dan