[vtkusers] parallel mesh reading and writing

Karl Merkley karl at elemtech.com
Thu Jan 25 10:12:13 EST 2007

On Jan 25, 2007, at 3:38 AM, Jean Favre wrote:

> On 25, Jan 2007 11:27 AM, John Biddiscombe <biddisco at cscs.ch> wrote:
>

>> If the geometry is fixed for subsequent time steps, then the scalars
>> can
>> be written out as groups in time order. If the geometry is changing,
>> new
>> groups would need to hold geom and scalars per time step. some
>> convention would need to be agreed on on how to lay it out.
>
> Someone has already gone through this effort. Check out the following
> link which might be helpful
>
> http://hdf.ncsa.uiuc.edu/HDF5/papers/prototypes/mesh/

I have followed through on that link previously.  They document one
possible arrangement but it appears that the effort has not been
pursued since the prototype proposal in 2002.  The mailing-list is
dead and one of the principals indicated in a private email that he
had done nothing more.  If someone knows more than this I would still
be interested.

I have also investigated a couple of other possibilities.

XMDF (not to be confused with XDMF!) is an open source project with
maintenance funded by the US Army Corp of Engineers.  It is primarily
used for ground water modeling although it appears to be useful as
general mesh storage format. I'm not yet sure how complete the data
model is for an arbitrary FE model (boundary conditions, material
properties, etc.)

Another option may be CGNS (CFD General Notation System).   This is
promoted by NASA and according to their website they are now a "AIAA
recommended practice."   It appears they are in transition to an HDF5
based model but they are still supporting an alternate system during
the full transition.  Once I stumbled across CGNS I actually found a
thread on this list talking about it.  I will follow through up on
that old thread.

     Karl