[vtkusers] newbie:Displaying Images with VTK

rouven at uni-koblenz.de rouven at uni-koblenz.de
Thu Jan 25 04:43:31 EST 2007

Dear Users,

I´m developing an medical image processing tool with VS 2005 using MFC. My
first task now is to simply open an image and displaying it on the screen.
For this I´m using the vtkImageViewer, ´cause the documentation says it´s
a quite easy to use wrapper around several functionalities. Here is what I
did so far:

1. reading file with vtkFileReader:

 this->m_imgReader->SetFileName(lpszPathName);

2. passing image to the Image Viewer
 this->ImageViewer->SetInput(this->GetDocument()->m_imgReader->GetOutput());
 this->ImageViewer->GetActor2D()->VisibilityOn();

3. rendering content
 this->ImageViewer->Render();

I also used SetParentID/SetWindowID to let the ImageViewer know which
window to use. The result is, that I only get a black background.

So my question is, if I also have to create the
Renderer/RenderWindow/Actor2D... and assigning it to my ImageViewer to
make it work, or if I have forgotten s.th. else important.

Thank you in advance

Rouven Asmus