[vtkusers] Help,simple newbie questions

Aina Nagma aina_nagma at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 24 10:27:04 EST 2007

Hi,
      I am again asking the question.If anyone has any idea please help me.Suppose I have a X-section whose normal n1 =(-0.25,0.75,0.3).I want to align it along n2=(0,1,0).So if I want to use vtkTransform,then to rotate along n2,I need to use RotateX,RotateY,RotateZ.That is what I asking about how can I get X,Y and Z angle.

  Best regards,

  A.N.

    Aina Nagma <aina_nagma at yahoo.com> wrote:
    Hi Venu,
             Thanks for your suggestion.But I am asking for something else.Suppose I have a X-section whose normal n1 =(-0.25,0.75,0.3).I want to align it along n2=(0,1,0).So if I want to use vtkTransform,then to rotate along n2,I need to use RotateX,RotateY,RotateZ.That is what I asking about how can I get X,Y and Z angle.

  Best regards,

  A. N.

venugopal gudimetla <gudimetlav at gmail.com> wrote:
    Are you trying to find the angle between two planes? I guess you can find the cosines in each direction.

  in each direction :
  v1•v2 = |v1||v2| cos(angle)
  therefore cos(angle)xy = v1•v2 /|v1||v2|
  repeat this for other two directions.
    v1•v3 = |v1||v3| cos(angle)
  therefore cos(angle)xz = v1•v3 /|v1||v3|

  Thanks
  Venu

  On 1/22/07, Aina Nagma <aina_nagma at yahoo.com> wrote:     Hi,
      I have a simple newbie question.I have two normals n1 = (-0.75,-0.5,0.25)  and n2 = ( 0.5,-0.6,0.0).I want to know the angles between them separately in X,Y and Z direction.
  Can any body help me regarding this?
  Thanks in advance.

  A. N.

always stay connected to friends.