[vtkusers] Mac OS X, Java guru needed, please.

Kenneth Sloan kennethrsloan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 17:40:04 EST 2007

Thanks for your help.  Please excuse the elementary questions.  My
knowledge of cmake, cvs, and "dashboards" is minimal, at best.
Consider my starting point to be: took the CD out of the jacket in
the back of the textbook.  My BSD experience is 20 years old, and I
haven't done serious system administration tasks for at least 15 years.

On Jan 16, 2007, at 3:38 PM, Sean McBride wrote:

> On 2007-01-16 15:17, Kenneth Sloan said:
>

>> I'm trying to get vtk installed under Mac OS X, with Java.  What I
>> need most is
>> someone who has done this before who can guide me over the
>> speedbumps.
>>

> Warning: I don't know squat about java.
>

>> I'm going to make another attempt, starting from scratch, on
>> Wednesday a.m.  This time, I'll be less ambitious and try to get the
>> most basic VTK package up and running (C++ only, NO java, NO tcl, NO
>> python).
>>
>> And then....I'll try to add in Java.
>>

> That's a good idea.  From the nightly builds, you can see that vtk
> builds on many Macs every night.   I'd start by using the same
> settings
> as one of those builds and make sure that much works.  This build of
> mine builds with java support:
>
> <http://www.vtk.org/Testing/Sites/RogueResearchi386/MacOSXTiger-i386-
> carbon/20070116-0300-Nightly/Notes.html>

OK - let's start there.  Suppose I have downloaded source into .../
vtk, and created .../vtk-bin.

The vanilla docs tell me to run cmake and then make.

How should I modify the vanilla instructions to use your settings?

Next - and this may be where my problems are - when I tried to follow
earlier instructions to "use the latest from CVS", the source that I
downloaded (into .../vtkcvs) looked sufficiently different from the
source in .../vtk that I (more or less) gave up.

> You should be able to build with those settings.  From there, you can
> tweak things to your liking and see if/when something breaks.
>

>> I have X11 available, so I suppose my first specific question is:
>> X11, Carbon, or Cocoa? (and the meta-question is: is that even a
>> meaningful question?)
>>

> Well, what is your end goal?

My end goal is to have native java programs that use vtk.  Right now,
I use "javac *.java" and all is well.  Clearly, adding in vtk will
complicate matters.  For now, I'll settle for the simplest route that
will get something up and running the tutorial programs.

Again - thanks for your time, and patience.

Right now, I'm off to download a clean copy of the latest vanilla
release.
After that, I'll wait for your instructions (PLEASE feel free to
point me at the nearest "howTo page".

--
Kenneth Sloan
KennethRSloan at gmail.com
Computer and Information Sciences                        +1-205-934-2213
University of Alabama at Birmingham              FAX +1-205-934-5473
Birmingham, AL 35294-1170                http://www.cis.uab.edu/sloan/