[vtkusers] Please help me by answering the simple question

Obada Mahdi omahdi at gmx.de
Thu Jan 11 10:59:24 EST 2007

Hi Sawsan!

On 1/11/07, Sawsan Ahmed <sawsanahm at yahoo.com> wrote:
>        I tried with libGLU.so and installing graphviz ( for dot tool),still
> same output -- no cone,only the colored background.

"dot" is not required for normal VTK use.  The dependency stems from
setting "BUILD_DOCUMENTATION" to "ON", it is used for generating
inheritance and collaboration diagrams for the doxygen documentation,
so it does not interfere in any way with how VTK works.

> I also don't have gnuplot in my linux.I don't know whether any
> problem with my linux installation.I am trying to install again linux in
> server mode.In the mean time,if anyone get any answer ,it will be greatly
> appreciated.

Unfortunately, I do not know what is causing your problems.  It sounds
like there could be a problem with your OpenGL installation.  In most
GNU/Linux distributions, OpenGL libraries are installed along with the
graphics card drivers, which is either a part of the X11 installation
(using hardware-accelerated Mesa drivers) or through separate driver
packages (like those provided by ATI and nVidia).  Reinstalling these
drivers might help; like others have pointed out, there should be a
symlink called "libGLU.so".

If a reinstallation does not work, you could try to track down the problem by
- using "ldd" on executables to make sure that the correct OpenGL
libraries are used by the dynamic linker
- examine the results of "glxinfo" [1]
- running other OpenGL applications (glxgears [1], games, screensaver
using GL...), to check whether OpenGL works in general

HTH,

Obada

----
[1] both "glxinfo" and "glxgears" should be installed along with X11