[vtkusers] Fwd: make errors - repeat?

Kenneth Sloan kennethrsloan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 09:34:57 EST 2007

On Jan 5, 2007, at 12:23 AM, Thompson, David C wrote:

> > Scanning dependencies of target vtkIOJava
> > [ 53%] Building CXX object IO/CMakeFiles/vtkIOJava.dir/
> vtkAVSucdReaderJava.o
> > /Users/kennethsloan/vtk-bin/IO/vtkAVSucdReaderJava.cxx:5:31: error:
> > vtkSystemIncludes.h: No such file or directory
> > /Users/kennethsloan/vtk-bin/IO/vtkAVSucdReaderJava.cxx:6:29: error:
> > vtkAVSucdReader.h: No such file or directory
> > ...and so on...
> >
> > Can I please rent a clue?
>
> Well, does VTK/Common/vtkSystemIncludes.h exist in the source
> directory? If so, please run "make VERBOSE=1" and see if the
> proper include directive ( -I/path/to/VTK/Common ) is listed on
> the compiler command line.
>
>     David

(note: the context is Mac OS X, which is cAsE INsenSITive, on a Mac
Book Pro.  I copied the VTKUNIX directory off the CD and renamed the
copy "vtk".  The make is being done in vtk-bin.  I used "cmake -i"
and changed a few - very few - settings.)

 From Makefile2:

# The top-level source directory on which CMake was run.
CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR = /Users/kennethsloan/vtk

# The top-level build directory on which CMake was run.
CMAKE_BINARY_DIR = /Users/kennethsloan/vtk-bin

/Users/kennethsloan/vtk/common/vtkSystemInclude.h exists and is
readable.

In vtk-bin, "make VERBOSE=1" now produces:

...everything OK to this point...
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `IO/CMakeFiles/vtkIOJava.dir/depend'.
make -f IO/CMakeFiles/vtkIOJava.dir/build.make IO/CMakeFiles/
vtkIOJava.dir/build
/usr/bin/cmake -E cmake_progress_report /Users/kennethsloan/vtk-bin/
CMakeFiles
[ 52%] Building CXX object IO/CMakeFiles/vtkIOJava.dir/
vtkAVSucdReaderJava.o
/usr/bin/c++    -o IO/CMakeFiles/vtkIOJava.dir/vtkAVSucdReaderJava.o -
c /Users/kennethsloan/vtk-bin/IO/vtkAVSucdReaderJava.cxx
/Users/kennethsloan/vtk-bin/IO/vtkAVSucdReaderJava.cxx:5:31: error:
vtkSystemIncludes.h: No such file or directory
/Users/kennethsloan/vtk-bin/IO/vtkAVSucdReaderJava.cxx:6:29: error:
vtkAVSucdReader.h: No such file or directory
...and so on...
/Users/kennethsloan/vtk-bin/IO/vtkAVSucdReaderJava.cxx:345: error:
expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before 'void'
make[2]: *** [IO/CMakeFiles/vtkIOJava.dir/vtkAVSucdReaderJava.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [IO/CMakeFiles/vtkIOJava.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

So, you are correct - there is no "-I" directive.  I take it that
there should be:

      -I../vtk/common

on the compiler command.

Now - I'm following the instructions in the Users Guide book.
Perhaps I'm doing it wrong (ALWAYS a possibility).  I'm doing the
'make' in the vtk-bin directory.  The Makefile was built by running
cmake -i (in the vtk directory) - and making very few changes to the
default settings.

Surely, I don't want to edit the Makefile - so...how would you
suggest that I back up and do it right?
Was there a setting in cmake that I should have changed?  that I
might have accidentally set incorrectly?

My next try will be to follow the instructions in the book, but this
time accepting ALL default settings.

Thanks for your guidance!

--
Kenneth Sloan
KennethRSloan at gmail.com
Computer and Information Sciences                        +1-205-934-2213
University of Alabama at Birmingham              FAX +1-205-934-5473
Birmingham, AL 35294-1170                http://www.cis.uab.edu/sloan/