[vtkusers] vtkRIBExporter and Pixie

Marty Humperdink martyh_camel93 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 4 15:42:40 EST 2007

I posted this question to the Pixie board and thought
I would share what I learned. It sounds like
vtkRIBExporter uses some conventions that are typical
to the BMRT renderer but necessarily part of the RIB
standard. So the message I got from Pixie was jsut a
warning that my .rib file (created with VTK) included
some command(s) that are used by BMRT but not Pixie.

I'm still trying to get the hang of adding lights and
getting shadows right, though. I've read through Bill
Lorensen's descrition of using vtkRIBExporter
(http://www.crd.ge.com/~lorensen/vtkrib/) and am
trying to learn some of the basics of Renderman
thinking that I might manually edit .rib files after I
make them with VTK. I think it may be useful to me to
have a technique to generate special renderings for
publications/presentations so I'd like to learn a
little more but don't have the time to really dive in
headlong. Anyone else out there using Pixie, Aqsis or
similar for this purpose?

----------------------------------

Hi, all.

Is anyone using vtkRIBExporter to render with Pixie?
If so, I'd greatly appreciate hearing some tips on
making nice renderings with shadows, etc.

I've had some success so far but just added a
vtkRIBLight and got some errors from Pixie. I added
the vtkRIBLight by using the cells.tcl example as a
reference but got the warning "Parameter "shadows" not
declared" when I ran the resulting RIB file through
Pixie's rndr.exe

I have no experience with .rib file syntax yet
(which is probably the main problem) but it seems like
the exporter is missing a 'Declare' statement
somewhere to take care of the shadows. I'm posting the
question here because I'm wondering if vtkRIBExporter
is leaving something out when its writes the RIB.

Thanks very much. If anyone can make any suggestions
or can point me in a direction I'd greatly appreciate
it.