[vtkusers] Freetype problem when compiling vtk nightly on Mac OS X 10.4.8

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Wed Jan 3 11:46:12 EST 2007

On 2007-01-03 16:23, Alexander Antonov said:

>I get the following symbol error when compiling VTK from CVS
>
>--------------
>Linking CXX shared library ../../bin/libvtkftgl.dylib
>ld: Undefined symbols:
>_vtk_freetype_FT_Glyph_Get_CBox
>_vtk_freetype_FT_Glyph_To_Bitmap
>_vtk_freetype_FT_Get_Char_Index
>_vtk_freetype_FT_Select_Charmap
>_vtk_freetype_FT_Set_Charmap
>_vtk_freetype_FT_Attach_File
>_vtk_freetype_FT_Done_Face
>_vtk_freetype_FT_Get_Glyph
>_vtk_freetype_FT_Get_Kerning
>_vtk_freetype_FT_Load_Glyph
>_vtk_freetype_FT_New_Face
>_vtk_freetype_FT_New_Memory_Face
>_vtk_freetype_FT_Done_Glyph
>_vtk_freetype_FT_Done_FreeType
>_vtk_freetype_FT_Init_FreeType
>_vtk_freetype_FT_Set_Char_Size
>/usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
>make[2]: *** [bin/libvtkftgl.5.1.0.dylib] Error 1
>make[1]: *** [Utilities/ftgl/CMakeFiles/vtkftgl.dir/all] Error 2
>make: *** [all] Error 2
>-------------------
>
>And indeed when I check the freetype library with "otool -Iv bin/
>libvtkfreetype.dylib | grep _vtk", I can't find these symbols.
>Any ideas about what I'm doing wrong (or is this a bug?).

I think we need to know more.  Are you using your own freetype library,
or the freetype code that comes with vtk?  What kind of vtk build are
you doing?  Carbon? Cocoa? PPC? Intel? gcc? icc?

Maybe you can add "-Y 1455" to the linker flags, to get a more detailed
error message from the compiler/linker, see:
<http://developer.apple.com/releasenotes/DeveloperTools/Xcode/Xcode.html>

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com