[vtkusers] Re: Packaging vtk: patents

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Wed Jan 3 11:33:46 EST 2007

On 2006-12-28 14:54, Axel Thimm said:

>But what about the other patents regarding some algorithms like
>Marching Cubes and friends? There is a FAQ entry on this:
>
>http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ#What_is_the_deal_with_the_patents
>
>But it refers to vtk4 and mentions the Patented subfolder which does
>not exist anymore. Have all these patented algorithms either
>
>o expired
>o been replaced by non-patented equivalents
>o are waived for vtk use?

It really would be nice if someone from kitware would update the wiki.
I would, but I don't know what the patent status really is.

(Frankly, the wiki is embarrassingly out of date!  For example, here:
<http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ#What_is_the_release_schedule_for_VTK>

it still says "The next version of VTK 5.0 will probably be released in
early 2005. It now looks like 5.0 should be branched in early June 2005
and released shortly after that.".)  :(

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com