[vtkusers] Re: MangledMesa & VTK

Jeff Lee jeff at cdnorthamerica.com
Wed Jan 3 09:07:06 EST 2007

On 1/2/07, Berk Geveci <berk.geveci at kitware.com> wrote:

> I haven't looked at/used mangled mesa in a while. I used to enable it
> on all my builds for testing but eventually gave it up. As Brian
> mentioned, having a separate mesa build is more practical. There are
> two maintenance issues with mangled mesa: 1. mangling support in the
> mesa library itself, 2. mangled mesa support in VTK. (2) is not too
> much of a burden although as Randall found out, it is not being tested
> (therefore it may be considered broken). (1) is more of a problem
> since Mesa folks are not really interested in it and do not test
> mangled mesa. The last time I tried, the latest mesa could not be
> built mangled. I think there are some users of mangled mesa out there
> but I am not sure how many. Jeff Lee may be one of them.

Hi All,
Yes, we are using it to do offscreen rendering in an interactive client.
The nice thing is that the same version of our rendering libraries work both
in batch and interactive, but the same thing could be accomplished by having
2 builds of the rendering libs, as Berk said above (it would be nice if
cmake produced the 2 different versions, instead of having completely
separate builds).  In batch, osmesa seems to be the only real choice for
rendering without an xserver, but interactive we can use glxpixmap, pbuffer,
or fbo, so no real need to do mangled mesa when interactive to get higher
resolution hardcopy.

On another note, for what we're trying to do (and probably most people), it
would be much more convenient to have an offscreen context in the
renderwindow that we can just make current and use, instead of the
SetOffscreenRendering() call.  The two scenarios I commonly see are you are
either always rendering offscreen, or you are making a high-res hardcopy and
don't want the current context to be messed with, but you don't really need
to go through all that SetOffscreenRendering() does to accomplish that.
Lets say you were creating an animation and wanted to save the animation as
a higher resolution than the onscreen context - basically every frame you
have to call SetOffscreenRendering to get your offscreen context to render
to, and then you have to throw it away when you update the onscreen context
- why not just add the ability for a vtkRenderWindow to have an additional
(or many) context(s) to render into.
-J

-berk