[vtkusers] MPEG2writer patented?

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Mon Feb 26 14:33:30 EST 2007

vtkMPEG2Writer is only a shell that depends on the mpeg2 library (which has
the patented algorithm). We separated the mpeg2 library so that there is no
longer a dependency on a patented algorithm in VTK. In summary, out-of-box,
VTK does not have any patent dependency. You have to download the mpeg2
library separately, compile it and link against it to get the mpeg2 support.
The same is true for ffmpeg (which, by default, uses mpeg4). As David
mentioned, we will include an Ogg Theora encoder in the future.

-berk

On 2/26/07, Michael Knopke <Michael.Knopke at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi guys,
> I just saw that the description for class "vtkMPEG2writer" changed from
> official version 5.02 to actual cvs. Now (in cvs) it says that some parts
> are patented and therefor this class cannot be used in commercial versions
> (anymore?). I guess this applies to the official 5.02 release of VTK as
> well. Formerly VTK had special libs (called patented) but the got rid of it
> to remain free. How come there is a patented class in a free Toolkit without
> warning? Is there a way to get mpeg writer to work with free codecs (e.g.
> FFMPEG).
>
> Michael
>
> --
> Ist Ihr Browser Vista-kompatibel? Jetzt die neuesten
> Browser-Versionen downloaden: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/browser

Berk Geveci
Kitware Inc.
28 Corporate Drive