[vtkusers] A step forward and stuck again: VTK, Mac OS, Java, UnsatisfiedLinkError, bad library format/name?

Kustaa Nyholm Kustaa.Nyholm at planmeca.com
Mon Feb 19 09:54:13 EST 2007

Hi thanks to help from the list I've now compiled VTK on Mac OS

I've got the vtk.jar file and thus have been compile the test.java
sample application.

When I try to run it I get exception:

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError:
/Users/nyholku/VTK/bin/libvtkCommonJava.5.0.2.dylib:

when the Java code tries to execute:

System.loadLibrary("vtkCommonJava");

Now, I suspect that this is not the common problem of the class loader
not finding the
native library, as I've traced with the debugger to see what happens
and as far
as I can make out, the "vtkCommonJava" gets mangled (correctly, I
presume)
to "libvtkCommonJava.jnilib" which is a link to
"/Users/nyholku/VTK/bin/libvtkCommonJava.5.0.2.dylib"
and which exists (verified with copy pasting the path to ls command, so
there is no typo there).

So it appears, that the class loader actually gets the correct file
name/path (as evidenced by the
exception message with the correct path name), but for some reason is
not able to load
the library. Wrong format of the library, or maybe the name (recall
having read something like that somewhere)
of the library is separate from the file name?

Any pointers? What information should I send to help list to help me?

br Kusti

Kustaa Nyholm
Research Manager, Software
Research and Technology Division
PLANMECA OY
Asentajankatu 6
00880 HELSINKI
FINLAND

Please note our new telephone and fax numbers!
Tel: +358 20 7795 572 (direct)
Fax: +358 20 7795 676
GSM: +358 40 580 5193
e-mail: kustaa.nyholm at planmeca.com

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you
e-mail is strictly forbidden. We will not be liable for direct,
indirect, special or consequential damages arising from alteration of
the contents of this message by a third party or as a result of any
virus being passed for viruses.