[vtkusers] How to build grayscale lookup tables the right way ( vtk 5.0.2 )

Jesús Spí­nola jspinola at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 07:53:01 EST 2007

Why do you want to blow up your input from 12bit (typical medical) to
> 16bit ?

It's because a set of test images I need to pass. The one of the example I
mentioned is 12 bit ( with 16 bit allocated for each pixel ) and i have to
apply to the imgae that 16 bit lut

> vtkImageMapToColors has a 8bit output ("The result is an image of type
> VTK_UNSIGNED_CHAR"). So you have to manage how your intensities should
> be "pressed" from 12bit into these 8bit.

Yes, this is one of my problems, and that's why I'm asking if this is the
right procedure, or If I have to use another filters

One common way is the
> level/window-concept as most dicom-viewers do.
> I have realized this in my work by using
> itkIntensityWindowingImageFilter and itkCastImageFilter. But there is
> also a vtk-viewer-class that supports the concept of level/window
> directly (dont know its exact name - havent used it in my projects).

Yes that's the one I'm using, vtkImageViewer2, but as I said is not only a
window level transform what I need, I have to apply another transforms to
the data through lookup tables

Thanks anyway Tom

Hth,