[vtkusers] Re: Fill contours with Pixels

Hendrik Belitz hbelitz at darkon.info
Wed Feb 14 03:45:04 EST 2007

Hi Mike,

Mike Jackson wrote:
> I have a 3D triangle mesh that I am trying to close the "Holes"
> on. This mesh is pretty complex and although I have searched the
> archives I have not found anything that has worked out. The main
> problem being that a "contour" line can traverse 2 or more planes.

I must admit that I didn't understood what you're expecting from the algorithm you're searching for. This is mainly due to the fact that I don't know what you mean by the terms "hole" and "contour". Is this about closing topological inconsistencies in your original mesh? Or is it about closing surface areas which are fully delineated by surrounding edges, but (for some strange reason) without any kind of face lying in this area? Or did I get you totally wrong and you're speaking about something completely different?

>    So what I was thinking was to extract the contour loops just at
> the boundary surface. This gives nice loops. Now if I could
> somehow "fill" those loops with solid pixels, convert the whole
> thing to a voxel volume, I believe I have a way to "extract
> surface" of the new voxel volume, triangulate it, than append and
> merge to the original mesh.

Please note that by voxelizing your geometry you introduce a discretization error depending on your sampling grid. The surface extraction with high probability will also introduce new topological errors in your final result. Is this really no problem for your application?

Regards
 Hendrik