[vtkusers] Still More Questions

ronharshbarger at mmm.com ronharshbarger at mmm.com
Fri Feb 2 06:07:53 EST 2007

Thanks for the info. I feel like a fish out of water. I started using MSVC
when it was first introduced and haven't dealt with script files in at
least as long. I get the impression that most of the VTK users are using
script driven systems but if I see "Using CMake is simple" one more time...
I get the impression that I am making this a lot more difficult than it
needs to be but I must have taken a wrong turn somewhere!

QUESTIONS:

1.FROM MASTERING CMAKE : "The top two entries are the source code and
binary directories. They allow you to specify where the source code is for
what you want to compile" WHAT SOURCE CODE? IF I AM STARTING A NEW PROJECT
THERE ISN'T ANY YET!

2. Why did I build the build-all binaries? Is the resulting directory the
new project? Do I really need that huge directory tree to start a new
project?

Maybe someone can walk me thru this! I have built the build-all and the new
binaries are in the tree C:\VTK_New_Bin. Let's say I want to start a new
project to display an array of 3D data points of type double. I know that
the resulting graphic should look something like a piece of coarse
sandpaper wrapped over the edge of my desk. I've installed CMake and I have
a project name "My3DProject". Now What?

Ron N. Harshbarger

             Goodwin Lawlor
             <goodwin.lawlor at u
             cd.ie>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  vtkusers at public.kitware.com
             vtkusers-bounces+                                          cc
             ronharshbarger=mm
             m.com at vtk.org                                         Subject
                                       [vtkusers] Re: More Questions

             01/30/2007 03:20
             PM

Anka Kochanowska wrote:
> Why don't you just install VTK binaries (you need openGL also) and try
> to build an MSVS project for the first example in VTK/Examples/Tutorial
> - cone?

Usually, only the binary tcl interpreter with VTK wrappers are
available... not binary VC++ imports libs

> ronharshbarger at mmm.com wrote:
>
>> Sorry if I am being excessively anal and dense but I am really leery of
>> installing software when I don't understand it. I bought the full set of
>> books and the CD for VTK  5.0.2 and I use the Microsoft Visual Studio
dot
>> net foundation classes in C++ to do almost all of my programming which
>> runs
>> on XP/2000 or a Windows server. When I autorun the CD, it starts the
>> installer and wants to install a bunch of things that are not in the
>> "Mastering CMake" book. When I read the readme.html on the CD, under
>> Windows it says I can install the binaries but then in the same
paragraph
>> it states that if I use C++ I can't use the binaries and will need to
>> rebuild them from the source code supplied. Can't I just include the
>> source
>> files in my build?

The best way to do it is to build the VTK libraries separately (using
cmake and your own  build environment) and then link these libs into
your own project.

There is an example of using VTK with MFC in the source tree here:
\VTK\Examples\GUI\Win32\vtkMFC

You can use cmake to configure your project to correctly link the VTK
libs or just add the VTK includes directories, the lib directory, and
the VTK libs to the linker

hth

Goodwin