[vtkusers] vtkMPEG2Encode

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Thu Dec 27 08:05:50 EST 2007

>From the comments near VTK_USE_MPEG2_ENCODER in VTK/CMakeLists.txt :

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# MPEG2
#
# Portions of the mpeg2 library are patented. VTK does not enable linking to
# this library by default so VTK can remain "patent free". Users who wish to
# link in mpeg2 functionality must build that library separately and then
# turn on VTK_USE_MPEG2_ENCODER when configuring VTK. After turning on
# VTK_USE_MPEG2_ENCODER, you must also set the CMake variables
# vtkMPEG2Encode_INCLUDE_PATH and vtkMPEG2Encode_LIBRARIES.
#
# To use the patented mpeg2 library, first build it, then set the following
# CMake variables during the VTK configure step:
#   VTK_USE_MPEG2_ENCODER = ON
#   vtkMPEG2Encode_INCLUDE_PATH =
/path/to/vtkmpeg2encode;/path/to/vtkmpeg2encode-bin
#   vtkMPEG2Encode_LIBRARIES =
/path/to/vtkmpeg2encode-bin/vtkMPEG2Encode.lib
#
# Or using -D args on the cmake/ccmake command line:
#   -DVTK_USE_MPEG2_ENCODER:BOOL=ON
#
"-DvtkMPEG2Encode_INCLUDE_PATH:PATH=/path/to/vtkmpeg2encode;/path/to/vtkmpeg2encode-bin"
#
"-DvtkMPEG2Encode_LIBRARIES:STRING=/path/to/vtkmpeg2encode-bin/vtkMPEG2Encode.lib"
#
# You are solely responsible for any legal issues associated with using
# patented code in your software.
#

HTH,
David