[vtkusers] newbie compile question

Hughes, Mike msh at cmrl.wustl.edu
Wed Dec 19 13:38:54 EST 2007

I've just downloaded VTK and I'm trying to compile some of the example VTK
code found in:

    ../VTK/VTK/Examples/GUI/Qt

I cd to the directory above. It has the contents:
    CMakeCache.txt cmake_install.cmake Events Makefile
    CMakeFiles CMakeLists.txt ImageViewer SimpleView

I type:
    ccmake .

but I am not able to correctly set the vairable:

    DESIRED_QT_VERSION

I have both have a standard Ubuntu "Gutsy" installation (which seems to have
both qt 3 and 4 installed by default?)
I've tried the following values for DESIRED_QT_VERSION: qt4, qt 4, Qt 4, Qt
4.0, Qt4, Qt4.0, 4, 4.0, 4.3.2 (afer looking in /usr/lib)

I always get the same error when I try to configure:
    CMake was unable to find desired QT version: 4.3.2. Set advanced values
QT_QMAKE_EXECUTABLE and QT4.3.2_QGLOBAL_FILE.
    Qt GUI library not found.
    Qt CORE library not found.
    CMake was unable to find desired QT version: 4.3.2. Set advanced values
QT_QMAKE_EXECUTABLE and QT4.3.2_QGLOBAL_FILE.
    Qt GUI library not found.
    Qt CORE library not found.
    CMake Error: Error in cmake code at

/home/msh/Documents/Research/SourceFiles/VTKStuff/VTK/VTK/Examples/GUI/Qt/Sim
pleView/CMakeLists.txt:37:
    Unknown CMake command "QT4_WRAP_UI".

I've looked in CMakeLists.txt, its contents are:

    SUBDIRS(ImageViewer SimpleView Events)

which doesn't seem to tell me much.

How do I correctly set this variable (I've also tried the values: qt3, qt 3,
Qt 3, Qt 3.0, Qt3, Qt3.0, 3, 3.0)?