[vtkusers] Using vtkpython with X11 on headless Mac OS X systems

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Thu Dec 13 10:10:19 EST 2007

On 12/12/07 1:10 PM, W.T. Bridgman said:

>I'm trying to build vtkpython to run on some Macs in a cluster.  Mac
>OS X 10.4.11, Python 2.4.4, VTK fairly recently from CVS.
>
>Using the guidance I've found on the list, I seem to have a partially
>successful X11 build for vtk/vtkpython.  I can run the c sample
>programs like Cone and have it display through the X11 window to
>another Mac or linux machine, but the vtkpython programs fail with an
>X11 error like allocating colors, etc.
>
>I'm thinking this may be because the default Tk on the Mac doesn't
>have X11 installed.  Am I correct in assuming that the vtkpython
>graphical components are piped through Tk?
>
>It appears that the TclTkAquaBI installation installs a Tk X11
>framework for the Mac and I am thinking about installing that and
>rebuilding VTK.
>
>Does anyone on the list have experience with this or can provide some
>hint as to whether I'm on the right track?

Hi Tom,

I'm afraid I know nothing about X11, nor python, nor Tk.  :)  But, I do
maintain a few vtk dashboards and discovered that if the machine is
headless (ie with a video card, but with no monitor physically
connected) then VTK crashes all kinds.

You might want to try with a monitor to see if that changes anything.
And maybe read this:
<http://lists.apple.com/archives/mac-opengl/2007/Dec/msg00007.html>

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com