[vtkusers] Problems with vtkpython

Jens Thomas j.m.h.thomas at dl.ac.uk
Wed Dec 12 11:41:14 EST 2007

Hi Corinne,

Corinne Bachmann wrote:
> hi
>
> thank you for your tip
>
> sys.path gives me:
> ['', '/usr/lib/python25.zip', '/usr/lib/python2.5',
> '/usr/lib/python2.5/plat-linux2', '/usr/lib/python2.5/lib-tk',
> '/usr/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload', '/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages',
> '/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Numeric',
> '/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/PIL',
> '/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0',
> '/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages']
>
> and libVTKCommonPython.so is
> in /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/vtk, so it should be included,
> but importing it results in an error.

I think you'll also need to add the path to the .so files to
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, so (if you're using bash) try executing:

export
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/vtk:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

before you start python and see if you can import vtk then.

Best wishes,

Jens

> oh, and I forgot to mention before, I am using vtk 5.0.3, python 2.5.1
> on Suse 10.3.
>
> -Corinne
>

> On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 10:09 -0600, Alethea Bair wrote:
>
>> One thing I have found helpful is the sys.path in python
>>
>> import sys
>> sys.path
>>
>> And look at this string to see if the modules you want to load are in any
>> of these directories. If they are not then you should edit the PYTHONPATH
>> environment variable to include whatever path the files are actually in
>>
>> hope that helps
>> Alethea
>>

>>> Dear all
>>>
>>> I installed vtk and enabled VTK_WRAP_PYTHON to be able to write vtk
>>> codes in python. Ccmake and make install resulted in no error messages,
>>> when I first tried to run vtkpython it resulted in:
>>> vtkpython: error while loading shared libraries: libvtksys.so.5.0:
>>> cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>>>
>>> but I managed to fix that with the help of the mailing list archive.
>>> When I use vtkpython now it starts up as a normal python enviroment, but
>>> none of the vtkmodules seem to work. I was trying an example from this
>>> website: http://www.imaging.robarts.ca/~dgobbi/vtk/vtkpython.html but
>>> already the first line results in an error:
>>> from libVTKCommonPython import *
>>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>> File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>>> ImportError: No module named libVTKCommonPython
>>>
>>> I thought then I don't have to import the modules as I am already using
>>> vtkpython and not python, but skipping the import steps just resulted
>>> in:
>>> ren = vtkRenderer()