[vtkusers] Re: How to write multiple vtkPolyData into on single

Spencer Ross Austin sr.austin at btinternet.com
Tue Dec 11 04:51:17 EST 2007

Dear VTK User

I am a vtk user and unfortunetly relatively new to it, I have search the
archives and your post "How to write multiple vtkPolyData into on single XML
file" is the closest I've come to what I'm trying to do. I have created two
series of vtkPoints and saved them out in the polydata format with
vtkPolyDataWriter, once I have saved them I try to bring them both into a
new program and merge them together using vtkAppendPolyData. Whenever I try
to merge two files or even a file and some already existing PolyData it
won't render them out.

I have provided my code below:

package require vtk

package require vtkinteraction

vtkRenderer ren1

vtkRenderWindow renWin

            renWin AddRenderer ren1

vtkRenderWindowInteractor iren

            iren SetRenderWindow renWin

ren1 SetBackground 1.8 1.8 1.8

renWin SetSize 720 720

# Inport two PolyData Files.

#

vtkPolyDataReader reader1

            reader1 SetFileName
"d:/education/spencer/simulation/servers.txt"

            reader1 update

vtkPolyDataReader reader2

            reader2 SetFileName "d:/education/spencer/simulation/points.txt"

            reader2 update

# Appended into a single polydata.

vtkAppendPolyData apd

    apd AddInput [reader1 GetOutput]

    apd AddInput [reader2 GetOutput]

vtkSphereSource node

                        node SetRadius 1.25

                        node SetPhiResolution 18

                        node SetThetaResolution 18

#create a glyph using 'balls' as the object and 'inputData' for location
with 3D space

vtkGlyph3D glyphPointsServers

            glyphPointsServers SetInputConnection [apd GetOutputPort]

            glyphPointsServers SetSource [node GetOutput]

#Assign simple mapper to glyph

vtkPolyDataMapper glyphMapperServers

            glyphMapperServers SetInput [glyphPointsServers GetOutput]

#create actor of gylph to enable rendering of

#primary server's

vtkActor glyphServers

            glyphServers SetMapper glyphMapperServers

            [glyphServers GetProperty] SetColor 255 0 0

            [glyphServers GetProperty] SetSpecular .3

            [glyphServers GetProperty] SetSpecularPower 10

            ren1 AddActor glyphServers

renWin Render

Thankyou for any help you can provide,