[vtkusers] PDF 3D support

Michail Vidiassov master at iaas.msu.ru
Fri Dec 7 07:49:44 EST 2007

Dear All,

did anybody try to make VTK produce U3D files
(a 3D model file format Adobe Reader is player for)?
Since Intel provides a (free&open) compiler that makes U3D files
from text scene description files it seems to be easy to export to.
U3D files can be embedded into PDF by Adobe Acrobat 3D,
pdflatex and (not tested by me) some free pdf libraries.
Given such (assumed) advantages for purposes of model dissimination,
the lack of support in VTK is a matter of little surprise to me.

But may be there are issues unknown to me - like U3D being a brain-dead
format with no future and opensourcing the U3D library and utilities by
Intel
was the last act before dumping it?

On the positive side - is there public interest in having such an exporter
written?

 Sincerely, Michail