[vtkusers] eliminate duplicate nodes

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Thu Dec 6 12:53:30 EST 2007

On 12/6/07, burlen <burlen at apollo.sr.unh.edu> wrote:

>  I see where you are coming from, vtk is awesome in that it provides a lot
> of well documented very thoroughly debugged functionality. Just a thought...
> vtkPolyData is a type(not in the C++ sense) of unstructured grid, in fact
> all of the cell types applicable for use with the unstructured grid are
> available for use with the polydata. In my experience vtkPolyData class
> encapsulates the functionality of the vtkUnstructuredGrid, although they are
> not symetrically interchangable. You may be able to use poydata in place of

You have this point reversed. PolyData cell types are a subset of
those in UnstructuredGrid. PolyData, is tuned for graphics cards and
rendering. PolyData can only represent 0 (point), 1 (line segment) and
2 (polygons, pixels etc) dimensional cells. UnstructuredGrid can also
represent 3 dimensional cells (tetrahedra, voxels etc).

> the unstructured grid. & If you couldn't it is very easy to convert between
> the two, by taking the point set, cells, and point or cell data from one and
> inserting it into the other. So what you might try is to convert your
> unstructured grid to polydata clean it then convert back.

GeometryFilter will extract the surfaces of all boundary cells in an
UnstructuredGrid, producing PolyData. I am not aware of any filters
that can reverse that process (taking the 4 triangles that are on the
surface of a tetrahedra and producing the tetrahedra for example.)