[vtkusers] Problems with vtkDICOMImageReader

Jean-Pierre Roux jpr at creatis.insa-lyon.fr
Thu Dec 6 02:56:02 EST 2007

Paulo Henrique Junqueira Amorim wrote:
> Hello all,
> I am using the class vtkDICOMImageReader (VTK 5.1.0) to read several
> dicom files acquired with different CT equipments. It worked fine for
> more than 200 cases.
> However, recently, I had trouble reading dicom files acquired with
> Toshiba Aquilion. The image returned by the vtkDICOMImageReader is
> noisy (full of grayscale dots), pretty similar to fft output. Does
> anyone know how to solve this?
> I'm attaching one of the files acquired with Toshiba Aquilion so other
> developers can reproduce the problem.
>
> http://geocities.yahoo.com.br/phamorim/dicom.zip
> <http://geocities.yahoo.com.br/phamorim/dicom.zip>
Hi, Paulo.

Your images have a Transfer Syntax UID=1.2.840.10008.1.2.4.57   -i.e.
JPEG Lossless Non-Hierarchical (Process 14) -
It's not dealt with by the vtkDICOMImageReader.
you should try gdcm (http://www.creatis.inic-lyon1.fr/Public/Gdcm)
that comes with a vtkGdcmReader (derived class from vtkImageReader)

HTH
Jean-Pierre Roux