[vtkusers] Rendering speed when using text labels

David Goldsmith David.L.Goldsmith at noaa.gov
Mon Aug 27 14:02:07 EDT 2007

Hi, David, thanks for your reply.  Below are the "objections" to this
strategy which have been raised locally - please reply.  Thanks!

"That would help for the nifty spinning around and all, but we found
that  it's painfully slow even when you just do one action, and then
wait for it to re-draw. At least that's what I thought we were seeing."

"Turning labeling on/off during rendering process ... looks like it
shouldn't help - if you remember, it takes [a lot of] time to turn on
[such a] large number of labels.  So it [seems like it would] change
nothing - on 'turn labels back on' vtk will start [the] rendering
process for the labels [and]
we approach the same problem [we are having]."

DG