[vtkusers] vtkContourFilter, vtkFeatureEdges, thresholding.

Luca Pamparana luca.pamparana at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 09:08:29 EDT 2007

Hello all,

I have been trying to do this for some time now but with no luck.

What I need to do is extract regions (actually the outline of regions)
within an input 3D image. I have a very simple scenario. I have a binary
image with the background being set to 0 and the foreground shapes (there
can be more than one shape on a slice) set to 1. Now what I want to do is
get (in an ideal case) a closed array of the outline points for these
shapes. I have looked at various vtk filters like vtkContourFilter,
vtkFeatureEdges etc. What I cannot figure out is whether they can handle
such multiple shapes and how I can get such arrays out of the filtered
output.

I would really appreciate it if someone can help me out with this as I have
spend quite a few days without much luck :(

Thanks,

Luca