[vtkusers] volume16reader, raw-files and dicom2

Markus Henningsson marhe346 at student.liu.se
Fri Aug 3 03:43:44 EDT 2007

Hi,
I want to show a 3D data set using vtk and from what I gather vtkVolume16Reader seems to be the best way of reading the files. The problem is that the files I use as inputs are not recognized for some reason and I always get a "Can't find file" error eventhough I've made sure a million times that the file name and directory is correct. My original 3D data set are dicom-images which I've then converted to .raw files using the dicom2 software, however from the volume16reader examples the raw files have these numbered extensions which I've not managed to create (although dicom2 supposedly can do that for you too: http://barre.nom.fr/medical/dicom2/usage-2.html#Renaming%20pattern).
Instead I try to read the .raw-files with a SetFilePattern command using "%s%d.raw" as argument, but for some reason the files are not found. I've tried the examples, Medical1, Medical2 etc. and they all work fine, and to make sure my paths are ok I've put my data in the "headsq" folder and just modified the Medical files to read my data, but it's still giving me that same error! So the way I see it I can either try to figure out how to get these numbered file extensions using dicom2 or I can read the .raw files by some other magical way. Maybe there's other options as well but at this point I feel like I need some more qualified guidance.
So any advice on how to create numbered extensions, reading .raw files or just 3D data in general would be very appreciated. Thanks,
Markus