[vtkusers] Cone.java example hangs on Mac OS 10.3.9

Mike Jackson imikejackson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 11:03:11 EDT 2007

Well I know enough java/c++ to be dangerous at this point but just
some suggestions to figure out what is going on:

    Is your java program even making it into the main() method? can
you put a system.out.println("Yep"); as the first line inside main()
and see if that even gets output?

Java needs to know where your native libraries are: It looks in a few
default locations: /Library/Java/Extensions is one place. If you need
it to look in other places I think there are command line options to
the "java" command that can have the jvm look in other places.

The knee jerk reaction to this is to just copy the VTK libs into /
Library/Java/Extensions which may or may NOT work depending if you
built VTK with RPATH ON or OFF. If you Built vtk with RPATH OFF then
putting all the vtk libs in /Library/Java/Extensions may work.

If you do not understand what the ramifications or setting the RPATH
is then take a look through Apple's Dev Docs to find out. It is long
and complicated.

Hope some of that helps.

With respect to 10.3.9 versus 10.4.x, I think they generally work the
same as far as Java is concerned. Both have at least a 1.4 jvm. The c+
+ compiler may be different. GCC 3.3 versus 4.0 (default) under 10.4.

--
Mike Jackson   Senior Research Engineer