[vtkusers] Re: how to render volumetric Data

Valerie R Coffman valerie.coffman at nist.gov
Thu Apr 19 15:28:47 EDT 2007

Hi,

Which type of renderer and actor are you using?

For volumetric data you need to use a vtkVolume instead of vtkActor and you need
to use one of the following mappers: vtkVolumeRayCastMapper,
vtkFixedPointVolumeRayCastMapper, vtkVolumeTextureMapper2D,
vtkVolumeTextureMapper3D.  Only the FixedPointVolumeRayCastMapper and
VolumeTextureMapper3D can handle images with more than one component, which your
tiffs will most likely be if they are color.  If they are grayscale, you might
have only one component and use one of the other mappers.  I've had the most
success with the FixedPointVolumeRayCastMapper.

BTW, a similar question was asked yesterday:
http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtkusers/2007-April/090662.html
http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtkusers/2007-April/090673.html

Valerie