[vtkusers] continuous saving of image frames

Tim Soper tim_d_soper at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 14 19:14:46 EDT 2007

Hi-
   I've been writing a subclass for vtkVideoSource to grab frames in a custom application. I'm at the point where I would like to continuously save captured frames to individual files. While continuous display of video frames works nicely (30Hz+), saving the images using vtkPNGWriter or vtkBMPWriter (those are the two I tried) is drastically slowing my application. At most I can save 2-4 frames per second. To compare, I tried writing the bitmap data to files directly in a raw format using the c++ command fwrite( ) and was able to save images easily at 10 fps. Is there a way to speed up the process using a vtkImageWriter subclass. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tim Soper

Research Assistant
University of Washington
Department of Bioengineering